Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Good day in the garden!

Four people worked in the garden today: Juna, Mazyar, my daughter Lauren and myself. We got a lot done. Lauren & Juna worked on the fruit trees: plum, 2 avocado, 2 lemon, peach and orange. They added compost and fertilizer, and mixed it in well. Mazyar and I added compost to Garden #1, the west side, and planted 3 rows of Argent Sweet Corn. Then, we added 3 rows of beans (green beans, royal burgundy beans & Scarlet Emperor bean pole runners) next to the peas in the raised bed. I had planted alyssum along the north border of Garden # 1 and there were a few bald spots. We planted seed there. I like the alyssum because they attract beneficial insects. I will plant marigold flowers for a similar reason-they fight root-eating insects.
We watered all the newly-seeded areas with water and Super Thrive.

Corn (5-10 days to emerge)
Green, royal burgundy & scarlet emperor beans (10 days to emerge)

Tonight, I took my dog, Leelu, out and much to my surprise, saw the earth move in Garden #1. Gophers or voles! Damn, I thought I got rid of those. Oh well. So I sprayed both garden areas first with water, then witha mixture of castor oil & water, and then more water. Hopefully, that will take care of the problem. Gophers and voles hate castor oil.

Two more pressing problems: I have to blow out the soaker hoses and rebuild the tomato supports. I have time for the tomato supports (the seedllngs haven't even appeared), but I need to start thinking about how I want to do it. I also bought a couple of fences for either the peas or the beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment