Wednesday, September 1, 2010


All the tomatoes are turning red! While that's wonderful and long awaited, it would have been nicer to get them in spurts. What is one to do with so many tomatoes at one time. I have already made nine containers of tomato sauce and given away dozens of tomatoes. Lots of Roma tomatoes and cherry tomatoes, too. The peppers are starting to turn the proper colors also. I had a purple bell pepper tonight for dinner. It was delicious.

The eggplant are wonderful this year. I have harvested about 4 or 5 and there are many more on the vines. Had to put in stakes and tie up some of the eggplant. The branches are so heavy from all the eggplant.

Planted two rows of turnips and one row of Belgian endive. Watered well with Super Thrive and water.

Actually saw one more zucchini. The zucchini and squash have been a real disappointment this year. The hillside doesn't seem to be very conducive to healthy, fruitful plants. The powdery mildew covered everything earlly on, even though I sprayed Actinovate religiously. I am going to harvest all there is to harvest in the next couple of weeks. Then I'll pull out all the plants and plant winter squash. Meanwhile, I have a watermelon plant that is thriving. No watermelon yet. One can only hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment