Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A couple people said they were coming, but by 10 a.m., no one had arrived. I figured I was working solo. So much to do. You have to understand, gardening is an early morning, late afternoon kind of gig. Normally, artists arrived at 8:30 or 9 a.m. to begin work. However, artists did begin to arrive after 10--Juna, Gaia, Ivy and Ginger. I had already watered the plants that needed watering, done some weeding, harvested some vegetables, pulled up the stepping stones (actually circular blocks of tree trunks). So I got them started on harvesting the arugula, garlic, chard, radishes. Then we broke up the soil and added compost, after killing off the errant snail or cutworm. There were actually a lot of them. We got a lot of the ground cleared and soil amended with compost. I have some products coming in the mail which will continue the process of amending the soil before we begin the spring plantings.

We still have arugula, chard, garlic, carrots and spinach growing in the gardens. We will harvest them in the next week or two. I want the ground to lie fallow for a while before we begin planting again. Gosh, I wanted a break before the season began again, but I think I will only have a week or two before I begin planting seeds in small pots on warming pads, replanting seedlings into the garden, spraying for insects, foliar feeding. Yikes--it all begins again.

No comments:

Post a Comment