Monday, September 21, 2009

A Great Success!

I am writing this Monday, because the Harvest Dinner festivities didn't end until 11:30 p.m. or so. I was exhausted, but happy.

Meanwhile, 20 people came. The night was balmy. There were candles everywhere--on the table tops, in lanterns on the ground. I even had 3 small torches on the lawn between the gardens. We feasted on an appetizer of toasted baguette rounds smeared with fresh tomatoes, goat cheese & basil. Lots of wine, beer and soft drinks, too. Then on to dinner. I roasted zucchini and bell peppers and served them with a delicious Valbreso French feta. We had a mixed green (arugula & Royal Oak Leaf lettuce) salad with lots of tomatoes and a balsamic vinagrette. I also served gemmeli pasta with a fresh pesto made with basil, garlic and Italian parsley from the garden. I made a 2nd salad of tomatoes and basil, because the first one went so fast. Then I grilled marinated flank steak and a variety of sausages. Laura brought a paella and we had lots of fresh fruit, Chinese cookies and a cheesecake for dessert.

Ofunne deejayed, but the music got too loud and the police came. I guess that's a sign of a great party! Everyone danced and didn't want to leave.

There are still lots of vegetables in the garden, plus the fall crops will be ready for harvesting before too long. Next Wednesday I want to plant more broccoli, lettuce, spinach and anything else that grows well in cooler temperatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment