Monday, October 5, 2009

Getting ready for winter

I worked so hard yesterday--Sunday--the day of rest. I was out there about 3 hours. I spent some time on the tomatoes in Garden #1. Every day there is more dead and yellow stuff to cut off. I did harvest 4 beautiful tomatoes though. I even found 2 caterpillars--one really large one and one medium size.

Spent most of my time on the hillside. I haven't spent as much time there as the other gardens. It's easy to forget about that area or put it off, since it's sort of out of the way and more difficult to get to. I pruned the 3 tomato plants and tied up the hanging vines. Got 3 beautiful beefsteak tomatoes. All the corn has been pulled up. There are still some zucchini and crookneck squash plants. This Wednesday I think we have to concentrate on the hillside. Plant some chard, broccoli, lettuce, etc.

Watered the newly planted garlic and onions. Lots of jalapenos. Who wants jalapenos?

I took pH levels all over the gardens. Everything came up 7--way too alkaline. However, since all the readings were basically the same, except for one, I think the pH probe is broken. How could all the earth samples come up the same? Especially the raised bed vs. Garden #1 which I have been amending for 5 years. I think the probe is kaput!

No comments:

Post a Comment