Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Well, it was 9 a.m. and no one had arrived yet, so I got to work. I decided I should transplant the broccoli seedlings, which were planted about 3 weeks ago. Since we put 2-3 seeds in each hole, there were many places where 2 or 3 broccoli plants came up. You can't leave them so close together, or you'll get really scrawny plants. They need room. So I moved the ones I could, so they would be at least 6 inches apart. There must be 20 broccoli plants now. Then, I watered them all with water mixed with fish emulsion, a great source of nitrogen. Then I decided to water all the new seedlings (garlic, onions, radishes) with a water/fish emulsion mixture.

Finally, my artists arrived. Ginger watered the chard and spinach on the hillside garden with the same fish emulsion mixture. Juna planted carnival carrots and your garden variety, orange carrots, in the raised bed. She also planted green leaf lettuce in Garden #1. I cut back lots of dead vines on the tomatoes in Garden #1, and branches and dead leaves on the eggplant, basil and arugula.

Raksha gathered up a bagful of brown leaves from the lawn and patio for the compost bin. I also added shredded newspaper to the bin, and gave it a couple of turns. It's getting really hard to turn the bin--it's getting very full and heavy.

Raksha also harvested arugula, royal oak leaf lettuce, beets, green onions, basil, tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapenos. Then we decided to cut some of the herbs. So we had oregano, basil, rosemary and mint to share. I decided to pull out another big basil plant. Raksha washed the basil and put it on a towel to dry. Tomorrow I will hang it in the garage to dry.

Later in the evening, I foliar fed (sprayed) the peppers and tomatoes with Endrot, a product which contains calcium and magnesium. I also cut back more dead vines on the hillside tomatoes. Noticed a lot of white fly. Better spray next week. It's getting dark now-time to go in. It's only 6:30 p.m. Nevertheless, all together it was a very productive day.

Next week we will plant pak choi. I need to buy more seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment